A historic fort is occupying an islet in the Arabian Sea, just off the coast of Maharashtra in Western India. Constructed by Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj in Maratha Empire, this fort represents the revolutionary mindset of its engineer.
The fort lies on the shore of Malvan town of Sindhudurg District in the Konkan region of Maharashtra, 450 kilometres (280 mi) south of Mumbai. It is a protected monument. The main object was to counter rising influence of foreign colonizers (The English, Dutch, and French and Portuguese merchants) and to curb the rise of Siddis of Janjira. The construction was done under the supervision of Hirojee Indulkar, in the year 1664.The fort was built on a small island which was known as the Khurte bet (bet means island in Marathi).